Main content Home Compare deals Finance news Managing money Investing Credit & loans Home & property Life stages Tools & guides Small business Home > Credit & loans > Credit cards > Choosing the right type of credit card Print
Choosing the right type of credit card | Updated: 2:57:20 PM, Monday June 27, 2011
Understand the options to choose the right product for your situation.
Since there are various types of credit card, it’s best to have an idea of what you want to use it for and choose the right product for your situation.
- Low rate credit cards. Many providers offer credit cards with low interest rates on purchases – they can be 10% less than standard interest rates. If you find yourself paying interest on purchases, you’ll want to think about a low rate credit card
- Balance transfer credit cards. If you’ve accidentally racked up a small credit debt, a balance transfer is a great way to minimise interest and pay off that debt faster
- No fee credit cards. If you only spend about $500 a month on your credit card and always pay off your monthly balance, you’ll want to look at credit cards with no annual fee. Most rewards cards have high annual fees and won’t deliver value for money on a low credit spend
- Rewards credit cards. If you use your credit card for a lot of monthly bills and purchases, but always pay off the monthly balance, you could get the most benefit from a credit card rewards program. These cards typically have higher annual fees and purchase interest rates, but with the right card and a high spend you’ll earn enough rewards to offset this
- Gold and platinum cards. These credit cards offer benefits such as travel insurance, concierge and partner discounts – but usually have higher annual fees than regular credit cards.
Source: Mozo Share this article |
Related guides and tools
Avoiding credit card fees
Banks make billions of dollar a year in fees alone. Here are 5 tips to beating credit …
We look at the pros and cons of debit and credit cards.
When the credit card interest kicks in, it’s time to make some changes. The fastest and …
Start making your credit cards work hard for you, rather than the other way around.
Private jet anyone? Cash or charge? Avoiding the credit trap Credit card rules change The joy of plastic Doing It Tough? Credit cards can work for you this Christmas Five things I wish someone told me about credit cards Why I don’t have a credit card anymore.
Find a credit card online Compare credit cards Get cashed up, fast. Compare personal loans Flights, vouchers or cash? Compare rewards cards Go
Sign up to receive the latest finance news. Email: Subscribe
Connect with us on: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+
BigPond on Facebook
Tools & calculators
Try our budget calculator to see where all the money goes.
- Home loan borrowing calculator
- Credit card debt repayment calculator
- Credit card health check
- Home loan repayments calculator
- More tools and calculators »
Currency converter »
Convert: From: To:
Convert Amount: Data supplied by Morningstar, based on a 30min delay.