- Asian white paper, wish paper
Labor’s Asian Century white paper describes a most excellent future for Australia. It’s also choc full of unfounded fantasies and empty promises.
- Six ways the taxman cometh
Swan’s surplus will rely on extracting tax from the Australian business community. Here are six ways the taxman might come after you.
- Canberra’s great superannuation rort
Former superannuation minister Nick Sherry has blown the lid on Australia’s greatest rort, the $210 billion unfunded public sector defined benefit superannuation schemes.
- Australian super savers dodge a bullet
Savers look to have scored a win as the government flags that it’s abandoning plans to punish those Aussies saving via superannuation.
- Marching orders for middle income exiles
Cracks in Sydney and Melbourne’s middle class employment are starting to emerge, in the foretaste of a wider trend that could be a boon for Julia Gillard.
- RBA readies for a double Dutch smack
The RBA has made the right call with Australia needing to batten down the hatches for a double dose of the dreaded Dutch disease as well as a potential unemployment explosion.
- Invisible cuts to the middle class
Official employment data is failing to catch underlying trends that look set to see unemployment rise above 6 per cent in 2013, and middle class ranks wounded.
- ECB’s unlimited bond buy: What happens now
The European Central Bank’s commitment to buy unlimited bonds to ease sovereign borrowing costs is a qualified but crucial step in stabilizing the eurozone’s finances.
- Grollo is leading the IR battle
Business leaders and the miners in particular should support Daniel Grollo in taking on the unions. If he loses, production costs will spiral just as Australia enters a slowdown.
- Sky’s the limit. An interview with John Borghetti
To successfully run a business in challenging times requires a mix of priorities rather than a narrow focus, according to Virgin Australia chief executive John Borghetti
Sign up to receive the latest finance news. Email: Subscribe
Connect with us on: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+
I want to:
- Which banks have passed on the rate cut
- Read bios of the richest Australians
- Find out what’s on your credit record
Tools & calculators
Try our budget calculator to see where all the money goes.
- Home loan borrowing calculator
- Credit card debt repayment calculator
- Credit card health check
- Home loan repayments calculator
- More tools and calculators »
Currency converter »
Convert: From: To:
Convert Amount: Data supplied by Morningstar, based on a 30min delay.